Thursday, January 18, 2018

Virtual Plein Air Study 8

Here is a 3 hours plein air of Lauterbrunnen. I really love this area so I wanted to do more of it. As usual the reference image was found from google! I thought it would be fun to do a breakdown step by step of my thinking and process so I can analyze it afterward or to share it with whoever is interested. So here it goes:

Step. 01
Sketch. Roughing it out and marking x where the shadow was gonna be.

Step. 02
I was planning and breaking down the scene. 
As I do more plein air I grew to appreciate the importance of this step!

The yellow lines were where the lights gonna hit.
The green lines were for the texture I wanted to try to use it to try to establish scale.
The pink lines were where I wanted to try to focus on. But I later on I tweaked it further.
Its not here but I actually wrote some plan on paper too on what I wanted to achieve.E.g Temperature shift etc.

Step. 03
Another step on the planning, I wanted to know how will I break the layers so I did this quickly.

Step. 04
Thanks to step 3, I can quickly block out the lights and the layer groups.
Here I didnt really pay attention to the color yet.

Merely blocking it quickly. (step 01-04 were done in about 1 hour)

Step. 05
Establishing the local colors! I tried to keep it quick so its rather dirty and ugly.
After this step I start to refine the paintings. 

I like to start from the sky since it gives me + mood boost whenever I paint sky :D

Step. 06
Just wanted to show the in between. This is one hour into the painting
I start to tweak the color to play around with the temperature that I had planned on doing in step02.

Step. 07
Another hour later and Its done! :D

Hope you enjoyed it! If you have any feedback on how to improve the workflow/paintings please do let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment