Saturday, April 25, 2015

Alex of Viltess Empire


Recently I had the pleasure to study anime style under a close friend and skillful artist! I learnt so much that I felt mind blown every single class..! It was a very interesting approach since the focus slightly differs from what I have known thus far.

Also, I never drew in anime style before so it truly was challenging but fun experience. The design challenge was to either design a knight named Alex or a nature character named Morgan who both are from opposing country. I wanted to learn to render armor so I challenged myself to do Alex. He has 2 elements we could pick from, either light or fire.

I came up with a backstory for him being an anti hero main character. From the empire he came from he is a magnificent general and hero but from Morgan POV he truly is an arch enemy and rival that has slain many of her people. 

In my mind he is a fiery, loud and cunning character. He could be cruel to enemies, smiling in delight as he crush them but to his comrades, he is dependable and protective. I imagined that he enjoys being on the battlefield and rarely return back to the empire, thus I made his cape rather tattered. For his fire magic, I referenced Naruto and Roy mustang’s fire a lot >_< It was not as simple as it looked! It took me one whole day of fixing until I had it right.

I look forward to hear what do you think about this character!
====================================

Following are my development stages:

1. Ideation/design

Started off with the backstory and I have a couple of keywords in mind when designing him, mainly are knight/nobility. technology. evil/antihero. aggressive.In each version I kinda change the % of the keyword influence.

2. Poses/ further designing

I showed it to some friends and they chose B E F C, the instructor chose B and F. So taking those that has more votes, I drew some poses. Then I picked three that I like and put the design on top of it. In here I am mostly just trying out to show different personality and compositions in each exploration.

3.Color

2nd pose was chosen! Off I went to try different color variations. I went back to my keyword in each color, trying out to emphasize different things. Such as evil/anti hero or nobility. Since he is fire element I also tried making that as his main color. But I tried what if instead its orange and yellow too (D) and also what if he is light element instead (E). After this stage it was just rendering.. rendering and rendering!

No comments:

Post a Comment