Monday, May 15, 2017

Automata Street


Another even tighter shot of the townscape. Taking the chance to experiment with color and value grouping to try to push the story telling component of the image.

This time around I tried to take the story and try to take more liberty in showing it visually. I wanted to show the lady on the foreground to have a hesitant personality and perhaps often fearful of things, thus I put her in the dark. She is being pulled into the light by the samurai guy as if lighting up her life.Also tried to reflect that feeling of hope into the landscape itself (ray of light on the sky) I also wanted the surrounding to be cooler in temperature in comparison to the character hand, as if the body heat radiating the image.

I ended up removing the smoke effects since I thought it distract the viewer from the ray of light, also contradicting the feeling of burst of hope.

I have also been kinda worried that my color could be getting more and more saturated yet in a not so good direction so I tried to study from Krenz Cushart's work since a his work uses lots of gray yet feels so vibrant!

This time around I was more careful on where I used the saturated color but I tried to be less controlled when it comes to the edges and details since I felt the last two paintings was so controlled that it felt rigid and less lively.

I really hope to one day able to be as painterly as Craig Mullins!

No comments:

Post a Comment